Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Critical thinking question

Critical Thinking Question- At what points do you notice yourself resisting the book,characters, or author? What does your resistance say about the book, and what does it say about you?

 I have just finished reading the book " Cranked" by Ellen Hopkins. This book contains use of drugs and has a lot sexual themes. Crank takes place the summer before and during the protagonist Kristina's junior year of high school. Kristina is convinced to try crank (Methamphetamine) which starts the conflict in the story.

As i was reading the book i noticed my self resisting parts that had use of drugs, espicially this "Been smokin pot since i was 13 could'nt stop if i tried". This part of text in the book is where i was resisting myself. I found this part to be really disturbing because it made me wonder that kids my age actually do this, which kind of scared me in a way. Even though i found myself resisting this text i was mature enough to understand what was happening. It took a while to process this thought.

The character who sates that is Bree. This was one of my favorite characters, but i found myself to be more resistant when a text came up and Bree was in it. Bree got me thinking the most because she was such a bad role model in the book. She portrayed the most disturbing things. She would always be the one doing all the dark things.

My resistance about the book would not make a difference because this book was really well written with an amazing story line. My resistance of this type of particular text did not make the story any less appealing, it actually made it more appealing to me. Personally i thought that me being resistance to this type of text was a wake up call. I say this because i was shocked at the fact that i was uneasy and on edge with this type of text. I thought that i was mature enough to read this type of literature. I have read similar texts to this and i had no problems with that. Truly I was disappointed in myself and could not believe that this type of text was making me uneasy.

Overall Cranked is an amazing book. I am a little bit disappointed in myself for being hesitant to read texts like this. I would definitely read this book again and i would not be resistant at any type of text that is similar to this.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you included that because you were resisting to your book, it made you want to read it more. I am kind of the same way when it comes to these types of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you wrote about how you personally felt because then i know why you are uncomfortable with the text.

    ReplyDelete